Belfast Telegraph

Monday 29 December 2014

Ulster road deaths lowest since 1931

The number of road deaths in Northern Ireland has fallen to its lowest level since records began.





A total of 55 people were killed last year. The Road Victims Trust said the recession and bad weather meant less people were driving and more were seeking cheaper alternatives.

Chief executive Tony Parker said: "Because of the bad weather there is less traffic on the road and people are a lot more careful."

He said road safety mechanisms in cars like Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), air bags, better design of cars and increased wearing of seat belts meant people were surviving accidents at 60mph when previously they were dying.

Environment Minister Edwin Poots revealed that 55 people were killed on Northern Ireland roads in 2010, the lowest since records began in 1931. That is 60 less than the previous year, representing a 50% fall in fatalities and a 20% reduction in serious injuries.

In 2000 171 people were killed and over the past decade this has steadily declined.

Mr Parker added: "One of the factors is that there is a lot less traffic on the roads because of the recession and people have to pay more for fuel. They are more likely to use other means of transport which is more cost effective."

Mr Poots said complacency could become the greatest threat.

"The figures released today are a significant milestone for road safety here and the reduction is very welcome. But it is with extreme caution that we note the number of lives saved in 2010," he added.

"It is difficult to take pleasure from this record low when 55 people just like you and me were going about their normal business, presumably with hope, ambition and enthusiasm for the life they expected to have. But they didn't get the chance to fulfil their ambitions.

"The death of each one is tragic and will have brought enormous suffering to their families and friends. Already just days into 2011, another family is suffering after a death on our roads."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz