Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 26 July 2014

Victoria Terrace Orange parade cancelled by Parkmount Arch Committee

Portadown Orange Order district master Darryl Hewitt
Portadown Orange Order district master Darryl Hewitt

A senior Orangeman has reiterated his call for members of the Parades Commission to be sacked when they restricted a parade in Co Armagh after initially permitting it to go ahead.

District Master Darryl Hewitt was speaking as the Parkmount Arch Committee cancelled its disputed parade in Portadown on Saturday evening.

He said the whole purpose of the march had been to dedicate an arch. But as the marchers couldn't get near Victoria Terrace, there was no point in proceeding.

"People are very unhappy with what the Parades Commission have done. I would call once again for the Secretary of State to call the chair and the commissioners in to tell them they are not fit for purpose and sack them forthwith."

However, Breandan Mac Cionnaith from the Garvaghy Road Residents Coalition said the community there welcomed the Parades Commission decision.

"This parade should never have been applied for in the first place," he said.

"Those behind it and those who support it, knew the reaction it would cause in this community."

Parades are high on the agenda of multi-party talks set to start on Wednesday.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz