Thousands of people on housing waiting lists could be affected by budget cuts, the Housing Executive has warned.
Chief executive Paddy McIntyre spoke to Belfast City Council on Tuesday about fears over the Government’s plans to slash public spending.
He said: "The Northern Ireland Executive will have no option but to make some very difficult and painful decisions."
Mr McIntyre said the Housing Executive would continue to push for investment in housing but continued: "We have to be realistic in our expectations and what we can deliver."
The housing waiting list for Belfast currently sits at 5,682.
Maurice Johnston of the Housing Executive said: "We have an active new build programme and in Belfast 623 new homes were provided last year. Over 600 new homes are to be provided this year."