Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 21 August 2014

Wilson backs Invest NI on jobs cash

Assembly members have demanded answers over the apparent failure of Invest NI to create jobs

Invest NI should not be criticised for its failure to spend millions of pounds it was handed to create jobs, the Finance Minister has said.

Sammy Wilson was challenged at Stormont after the economic development agency returned £21 million to the Executive which it said it was unable to invest.

Assembly members demanded answers over the apparent failure to make use of the financial muscle to create jobs, but Mr Wilson defended Invest NI and the Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster who oversees its work.

The chairman of the Assembly's enterprise committee Alban Maginness said the return of the funding sent out a bad signal and reflected poorly on the government's commitment to job creation.

Mr Wilson, however, said Invest NI funding had to be matched by investment from firms, and claimed suitable business proposals were not coming forward.

"It is unfortunate that the money which Invest NI had been hoping to spend on job creation has not been fully spent this year," he told the Assembly.

"And of course, that is not a reflection on the work which is done by Invest NI and by the Deti (Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment) minister, but because a lot of this funding has to be matched.

"If the firms can't find - either within their own resources or from the banks, or indeed in some cases they don't have the confidence to invest - then there is not a great deal that can be done about that."

He added: "We have reallocated the money to projects that will create jobs. It is not that as a result of this money not being spent, job opportunities are being lost."

The minister said the money was instead being invested by the Executive in areas which should help create employment, and pointed to funding redirected to road maintenance and improving Housing Executive homes.

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz