Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 23 August 2014

World is safer without bin Laden, says First Minister Peter Robinson

BOSTON, MA - MAY 2: Flowers and an American flag lay on the Garden of Remembrance May 2, 2011 in the Boston Public Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. Families of local victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks gathered at the 9/11 memorial to reflect upon the death of Osama Bin Laden. Photo by Darren McCollester/Getty Images)
MIAMI, FL - MAY 02: Bob Kunst holds a sign that reads, "Thank G-D Osama Bin Laden is Dead" as he and two others from Shalom International hold a rally to bring attention to the plight of Israel as well as to show their support for the action that killed Osama Bin Laden on May 2, 2011 in Miami, Florida. Osama bin Laden, the mastermind behind the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks in was slain in Pakistan during a firefight with U.S. forces. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Crowds celebrate on Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House in Washington, early Monday, May 2, 2011, after President Barack Obama announced that Osama bin Laden had been killed. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

The world is a safer place without Osama bin Laden, First Minister Peter Robinson has said.

But, in a statement, the DUP leader also warned there is a “long way to go” to ensure the safety of UK citizens

Mr Robinson said: “I congratulate the US special forces involved in the tracking down and killing of Osama bin Laden: the architect of the September 11 terrorist atrocity and other |instances of mass murder elsewhere in the world.

“Al-Qaida has been dealt a blow by this action, but that doesn’t mean that we can be lax about national security or protecting our borders.

“Our world is a safer place with bin Laden gone, but there is still a long way to go in ensuring the safety of the United Kingdom and our citizens. That is where the bravery and dedication of our troops stands in such sharp contrast to the terrorists led by bin Laden.”

Meanwhile, the TUV produced a Northern Ireland comparison to make a political point.

Welcoming the news, TUV Upper Bann Assembly candidate David Vance said: “It is good to see a terrorist godfather made to pay for his crimes. We in Northern Ireland understand the evil of terrorism more than most places in the world.

“Here, however, those who engaged in such actions have been elevated to the highest offices in the land rather than hunted down and made to pay.

“TUV looks forward to offering those who oppose terror a chance to register their opposition on Thursday and vote for a truly democratic future.”

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz