Belfast Telegraph

Friday 1 August 2014

Pensioner aged 92 is latest victim of swine flu

A man in his 90s is the latest person to die after contracting swine flu in Northern Ireland.

However, the Department of Health has said the virus has not been circulating as widely over the Christmas period as it had been before.

The 92-year-old man had underlying health conditions. His death brings the total number of swine flu-related deaths in Northern Ireland to 16.

Additionally, 30-year-old Lee Porter from Coleraine, and Corinna Ritchie (21) from south Belfast, died after contracting the virus in England and Spain respectively.

Health Minister Michael McGimpsey said his thoughts were with the man’s loved-ones.

“I would like to express my sincere sympathy to his family,” he said.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz