Belfast Telegraph

Monday 29 December 2014

PSNI: urgent appeal in wake of murder

Shaun Fitzpatrick: murder victim
Shaun Fitzpatrick: murder victim

The senior police officer heading the investigation into the murder of Dungannon man Shaun Fitzpatrick believes there are people in the area who have not yet come forward with information.

Superintendent David McConville has urged these people to "take an extra step" and talk to police about what they know happened in the early hours of Easter Sunday.

Mr Fitzpatrick's badly beaten body was discovered in an alleyway at Donaghmore Road in the Co Tyrone town at around 3.30am last Sunday.

He was making his way home to the Lisnahull estate following a night out in the town centre when he was beaten to death.

A prayer vigil for the popular 32-year old was held in Dungannon on Friday. Around 300 people attended the event, which was organised to show solidarity with his family.

Two Lithuanian nationals living in the town appeared in court last week where they were charged with Mr Fitzpatrick's murder.

Andrius Dunauskas (21) from Lisnahll Road and 24-year old Raminas Balseris from Altmore Drive were remanded in custody after a detective told a magistrate he believed he could connect the accused to the murder.

Supt McConville said yesterday: "Although two people have been charged, the police investigation in to the circumstances surrounding Mr Fitzpatrick's murder is still very much alive.

"We have had an extremely good response from the community so far and I would like to thank people who have given us information.

"But I also believe there are other people in the community who have not told us what they know about what happened and who may believe their information is not relevant.

"I would ask these people to take an extra step and to talk to us. If they do so, we will do our very best to ensure that information is dealt with appropriately and in accordance with the law."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz