The referee whose decision denied Frank Lampard a goal in the game that ended England's World Cup hopes has been axed by FIFA.
Uruguayan referee Jorge Larrionda and assistants Mauricio Espinosa and Pablo Fandino have been told they are not being retained for the quarter-final stages and beyond.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter was forced to apologise to the FA following the officials' inexplicable failure to spot Lampard's first-half shot which had bounced two feet over the line when it crashed down off the crossbar.
Fabio Capello branded the decision “unbelievable” at the time and was still raging yesterday as the England team arrived home.
It has also prompted Blatter into a U-turn over his belief that video technology should not be used in even the biggest matches.
“I understand they are not happy and that people are criticising,” Blatter said.
“I deplore it when you see evident referee mistakes and it is obvious that after the experience so far in this World Cup it would be a nonsense to not reopen the file of technology at the business meeting of the International FA Board in July.”
Also not required for the next stage was Italian referee Roberto Rosetti and his assistants, who oversaw Argentina's 3-1 win over Mexico.
Carlos Tevez's opening goal in the last-16 game also caused controversy having been scored from a clearly offside position, with the replay played out in the stadium revealing the officials' error.
Meanwhile, the remaining English representative at the World Cup, Howard Webb, is staying on after being told he is one of 19 referees who still have a chance of taking charge of the final in Johannesburg on July 11.