Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 18 September 2014

Gilmore denies Shatter under threat

Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore said Government ministers are taking the latest dossier of alleged wrongdoing within the Garda very seriously

Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore has refused to be drawn on whether a wider inquiry will be launched in the continuing Garda controversies.

The Labour leader denied there was any threat to Justice Minister Alan Shatter's position as a result of the fall-out.

But he said Government ministers are taking very seriously the latest dossier of alleged wrongdoing within the force, and will deal with the claims at a Cabinet meeting tomorrow.

Asked if Mr Shatter's role was under question, Mr Gilmore said: "No."

The Tanaiste said the Government was already working on legislative changes to make better arrangements for Garda whistleblowers to make complaints about alleged misconduct among colleagues.

Questioned on whether a wider inquiry would be launched, Mr Gilmore said: "I think the important thing is that we deal with the substance of the material that was supplied last week, we are taking it very seriously, we are looking at it very seriously and we'll deal with it at Cabinet tomorrow."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz