An Irish dad-of-five died after being bitten on the neck by a spider while watching a movie at home, his wife claims.
John Kennedy (48) died last month from massive internal bleeding as a result of a bug bite he suffered at his home in Cork the year before, according to a report in the Irish Sun.
Before his death, Kennedy suffered stomach swelling, organ failure and his eyesight failed.
It is believed the arachnid is a 'poisonous red-back' which is native to Australia but has been spotted on this side of the world recently.
“He got bitten. We found a spider with a weird red back,” his wife of 21 years Jeanne told the Irish Sun.
“But the bite he got had bled very badly. We went through a roll and a half of toilet roll to try and stop it.”
Jeanne said John’s health quickly deteriorated and his stomach and testicles swelled up.
John was rushed to hospital on July 17 after vomiting blood and briefly losing his eyesight.
“He was a stubborn man and he said he would be grand in the morning, it didn’t pass,” Jeanne continued.
“At midnight he said ‘call the ambulance’. The paramedics told me it wasn’t looking good.”
John died in hospital the next day. An inquest into his death is due to take place.
There have been no confirmed sightings of the venomous spider in Ireland but they have been found in the UK in imported goods.