Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 30 August 2014

Republic of Ireland remembers 33 killed in 1974 UVF Dublin-Monaghan bombings

Taoiseach Enda Kenny lays a wreath in Dublin yesterday to mark the 40th anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings
Taoiseach Enda Kenny lays a wreath in Dublin yesterday to mark the 40th anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings
Wendy Doherty,who as a one-year-old was with her pregnant mother Collette when she was killed in Dublin, wipes tears from her eyes at the ceremony with her eight-year-old son Tyler
Wendy Doherty,who as a one-year-old was with her pregnant mother Collette when she was killed in Dublin, wipes tears from her eyes at the ceremony with her eight-year-old son Tyler

Wreaths have been laid at the site of one of three bombs which exploded 40 years ago in the single worst day of atrocities in the Troubles.

Relatives of the dead and survivors of the 1974 Dublin-Monaghan bombings gathered at a memorial on Talbot Street in the Irish capital.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny laid a wreath along with the members of the Justice for the Forgotten group, which announced last week it is suing the British Government to get access to classified files they believe will confirm collusion.

Thirty-three people were killed, including a pregnant woman, and almost 300 people injured in the no-warning UVF bombs, three in Dublin and one in Monaghan, in the space of 90 minutes.

Irish Foreign Affairs Minister Eamon Gilmore increased pressure on Prime Minister David Cameron to release information on the bombing on the back of the announcement of the lawsuit.

Justice for the Forgotten's Margaret Urwin said: "We hope it will be followed up by action by the British."

Northern Ireland Secretary of State Teresa Villiers said she would continue to hold talks with the Irish Government over the bombings.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz