Belfast Telegraph

Monday 28 July 2014

Super-prison plans scaled down

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern holds a press conference on the future of the new Thornton Hall Prison

Controversial plans for a super-prison which has already cost taxpayers 40 million euro have been dramatically scaled back.

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern said the new jail at Thornton Hall in north Dublin will now be built in three stages. But he admitted there is no time frame for the completion of the final two phases.

Instead of completing the entire complex with room for 2,200 inmates as originally planned, the Government will only commit to building two blocks holding just 700 prisoners by 2014.

Labour justice spokesman Pat Rabbitte derided the project as a shocking white elephant which will go down as one of the most expensive, misconceived and poorly planned in Irish history. He said: "What Mr Ahern's announcement means is that almost ten years after the project was first announced by his predecessor, Michael McDowell, and after the expenditure of vast sums of taxpayers money, we will have, at best, less than one third of the number of prison cells originally promised."

Mr Ahern said roadworks for the prison costing 2.6 million euro would start by September with the building of the perimeter wall scheduled to begin next year. But the downgraded construction of just two blocks at the campus - which will house 400 cells for 700 inmates - will not start until 2012 and take around two years to finish. Original proposals to fund the costly super-prison with the help of investors through a public-private partnership have also been ditched.

Instead, tenders will go out in the traditional fashion with the State picking up the entire bill for works.

Then-Justice Minister Michael McDowell came under fierce criticism in 2005 when the site was bought for 30 million euro, reputedly eight times higher than the market rate at the time. Another 12 million euro has already been spent preparing the site for construction. The original plans involving a private consortium were shelved last year because the Government could no longer afford it.

Mr Ahern said the revised plans would not have "all the bells and whistles that was originally intended" but insisted it would ultimately cost less than expected. Asked if there was a timeframe for the second and third phases of the prison, he responded: "Not at this stage, no."

Around 1,000 inmates have been let out of prison early because of overcrowding. Insisting jail capacity was the biggest issue on his desk, Mr Ahern said plans are also under way for a new 300 cell block in Midlands Prison and room for 100 more inmates at Castlerea Prison.

The Prison Officers Association (POA) said it was bitterly disappointed the revised plans would leave a shortfall of more than 1,300 promised places for inmates. Branding it a "major breach of promise and commitment", the representative organisation demanded an explanation from Mr Ahern.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz