Toxicology tests will be carried out on the bodies of two friends who died from suspected drug overdoses.
The alarm was raised at 6.30am on Sunday when a woman found her boyfriend and his friend dead in the downstairs living room of a property in Kinsale, Co Cork. Gardai said the deaths of the men, who are both in their early 20s and from Co Waterford, are being treated as suspicious.
One of the men, from Dungarven, had recently moved to the area with his girlfriend while the other, from Cappoquin, was visiting.
A Garda spokesman said both men were pronounced dead at the scene, which was sealed off for a forensic examination. There were no signs of forced entry at the house on Abbey Lane and neither man had sustained any visible sign of injuries.
A neighbour told RTE the couple had started new jobs last week.
Colin McCarthy said: "They were just a new couple, they moved in about two months ago. They seem nice. They've called to us and we've called over to them just to welcome them to the lane."
The men's bodies were removed from the dormer terraced cottage during the day for a post-mortem examination, which will include toxicology tests.
It will focus on whether the pair took or ingested something which caused them to die.
Kinsale councillor Kevin Murphy said the deaths have shocked the community.
He added: "This is a very close, peaceful community, nothing normally happens like this. People are really shocked and concerned about it. It's such a tragedy. Our sympathies go to their families."