Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 25 November 2014

UK driver dies after Dublin road rage attack

A Briton attacked in an apparent road rage incident in the Republic of Ireland has died, authorities said today.

Raymond Bates, 49, from Durham, was beaten about the head after a row between two motorists in south Dublin last Sunday night.

Garda detectives were trying to trace the passengers on a bus which passed the scene of the attack.

It is believed Mr Bates was driving in the Sandymount area when he was attacked by another motorist at a junction.

He was severely beaten with a hurley stick.

Both Mr Bates and his attacker drove away from the scene before a witness reported the assault to the Garda.

Mr Bates, who had been living and working in Dublin for several months, is understood to have gone to his home before attending St Vincent's Hospital the following day.

He was later transferred to Beaumont after slipping into a coma. He died yesterday.

A Garda spokesman said two motorists were involved in a row at traffic lights at the junction of Sandymount Road/Newbridge Avenue and Tritonville Road at 7.25pm on Sunday.

Detectives carried out door-to-door inquiries in the area and appealed for witnesses to contact Irishtown Garda Station.

It is understood a number of passengers were on board a number two Dublin Bus behind one of the cars involved in the incident.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz