Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 31 July 2014

World Cup 'would boost all Ireland'

Ireland's head coach Joe Schmidt backs the bid to bring the World Cup to the island of Ireland

The whole island of Ireland would reap the benefits of a successful bid to stage the 2023 Rugby World Cup, Irish coach Joe Schmidt has said.

The man who guided the national side to glory in the RBS Six Nations this season highlighted the key role Northern Ireland could play in securing the tournament as he and the team were hosted at a special reception at Stormont in Belfast tonight.

While the reception at Parliament Buildings was held to mark the nerve shredding triumph in March, many eyes were focused nine years hence and on the potential of a cross-border world cup.

Schmidt said Ireland could replicate the success of his native New Zealand in its staging of the 2011 tournament.

"You have got the same population and the same kind of energy around sporting occasions and I think you have got the stadia," he said.

"It would have to be a buy-in from all the sporting codes but I think that exists, it certainly seems to exist in the enthusiasm that's been shown so far.

"One of the niche things for Ireland is the proximity of everything. You've got that nice proximity where the roads are good, you can get from venue to venue.

"I think people would go off road a little bit too and get into the villages and towns like they did in New Zealand in a similar way.

"I think the whole country has an opportunity to benefit from it and also an opportunity to support it with the way they welcome people in."

He added: "There are so many positives to it that I really hope it can be successful."

A cross-border working group, chaired by former Irish international Hugo MacNeill, has been set up to prepare a feasibility study into a joint bid by the Belfast and Dublin governments.

Noting the Stormont Executive's £14.7 million contribution to the redevelopment of the home of Ulster Rugby at Ravenhill in Belfast, Schmidt said:

"I'd like to thank the Northern Ireland Executive, I think its support of the Ravenhill redevelopment has been extraordinary and I think it's now a fantastic resource for Ulster Rugby and also to support Hugo in his bid to try and bring the 2023 World Cup to Ireland."

The event hosted by Stormont Sports Minister Caral Ni Chuilin was attended by Irish captain Paul O'Connell, retiring superstar Brian O'Driscoll as well as many other of the Six Nations winning team. Rory Best, Paddy Jackson and Andrew Trimble were among the Ulster contingent present.

Ms Ni Chuilin said: "I have already indicated my support for the proposed bid by the Irish Rugby Football Union to host the Rugby World Cup in Ireland in 2023. It would be wonderful to see the competition taking place here and perhaps a home championship win for Ireland."

Stormont's First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness also strongly endorsed the likely bid.

Mr Robinson highlighted the success of recent sporting events staged in Northern Ireland, such as the Irish Open golf tournament and the opening stages of this year's Giro D'Italia cycling race.

"You can see the enthusiasm from the Northern Ireland public for any major sporting event," he said.

"That (Rugby World Cup) really would be the icing on the cake for many us, we'd really enjoy seeing that, whether it's at Casement (gaelic games ground in west Belfast) or at Ravenhill, or whether it's at both, it would be absolutely fantastic."

Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said: "This is a great night for us, we are very proud to be part of it.

"And we are also very determined to do anything in our power through our administration, working with the Irish government, to see that Hugo MacNeill, who has the onerous responsibility of hopefully leading the effort to bring a world cup to the island of Ireland, that he can succeed."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz