Belfast Telegraph

Friday 29 August 2014

23 years for random street murder

A man who murdered a gap-year student in a random, motiveless street attack has been told he must serve a minimum of 23 years in prison.

Kieran Crump Raiswell, 18, was stabbed in the chest four times without warning by stranger Imran Hussain, 27, who approached him in the street in Whalley Range, Manchester.

Hussain was given a life sentence at Manchester Crown Court and told by the judge, Mr Justice Baker, he will serve 23 years before he is considered for release.

The attack on January 16 took place 12 days after Hussain had targeted another stranger in a similar manner when he drove to Nottingham and punched a man outside his workplace before he again ran off to his vehicle. The judge on Friday described this as a "trial run". An investigation is under way into Nottinghamshire Police's response to that attack. The judge told Hussain: "I'm satisfied that having escaped detection for that attack (in Nottingham) you were emboldened to undertake another one, this time with deadly intent."

The court heard how the victim in Nottingham, a Probation Service worker, made a note of his assailant's vehicle registration number and spoke to police soon after on January 4, but Hussain remained undetected when he travelled to Manchester. A probe by the Independent Police Complaints Commission into Nottinghamshire Police's response was launched earlier this year and is continuing.

Hussain admitted killing Mr Crump Raiswell but claimed it was manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility after saying he was responding to voices in his head. This was rejected by the jury which found him guilty of murder on Thursday. The judge on Friday acknowledged the defendant was impaired, but not to a significant degree.

Mr Crump Raiswell had been accepted to study history at Sheffield Hallam University later this year and had just returned from the United States where he had been coaching football for three months. He was heading into Manchester city centre to find a job when he was attacked in Upper Chorlton Road in broad daylight in front of stunned witnesses.

Hussain, of Tilehurst Lane, Bracknell, had been driving around Whalley Range and Chorlton in the early afternoon for around a hour as he looked for a "suitable victim", the jury heard. He parked and then attacked the teenager as he walked near a bus stop. The jury was told how Hussain was seen by witnesses laughing and sniggering as he ran back to his car after the attack.

Roland Crump read a statement outside court supported by his wife. He said: "At this time, it is important to remember Kieran as an outstanding young man about to embark on his adult life and we treasure the memory of our fantastic eldest son. We will always remember him. Kieran was walking into town on that Wednesday afternoon in January when Imran Hussain picked out our son and subjected him to a vicious attack that gave him no chance of defending himself. We believe this senseless murder has been justly punished. Equally, we believe Hussain should serve his sentence and not be considered for release until he no longer poses a threat to society. Thank you on behalf of all the members of our family."

Detective Chief Inspector Pete Marsh said: "This was a premeditated, unprovoked attack on an innocent young man who had his whole life ahead of him. Hussain and Kieran had not met before. Hussain came to Manchester with the sole intention of causing harm. This was a cold-blooded motiveless killing and it is clear from his actions that Hussain obviously has no regard for human life. He stabbed Kieran before leaving him collapsed on the floor fighting for his life. No sentence will ever be enough or can undo the needless loss of life, but I hope that today's result will be of some small comfort to Kieran's family and friends."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz