Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 17 December 2014

A&E evacuated due to weed killer

North Staffordshire Hospital's emergency department was evacuated
North Staffordshire Hospital's emergency department was evacuated

A hospital was forced to evacuate a busy accident and emergency department over a bottle of weed killer.

Fire crews were called to University Hospital of North Staffordshire in Stoke-on-Trent just before 7pm yesterday after a child was brought in suffering from an eye irritation.

Staff called the fire service as a precaution to identify the substance affecting the child and to ensure no hazardous material had been brought into the hospital.

Firefighters, who evacuated the department as a precaution, later identified the source of the irritation to be a domestic weed killer.

Simon Craythorne, station manager with Staffordshire Fire and Rescue service, said the parent of the child had brought the bottle of weed killer into the hospital.

The parent and child were "decontaminated" and the weed killer removed from the hospital.

A spokesman for the hospital said it was standard procedure to evacuate an area when an incident arose involving a questionable substance.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz