A young man is believed to have been murdered elsewhere before his badly-burnt body was dumped in undergrowth at a golf course in Brighton, detectives have said.
Golfers discovered the corpse between the 17th and 18th holes at the Dyke Golf Club on the outskirts of the city just before noon on Saturday.
Sussex Police's Major Crime Branch launched a murder inquiry and have trawled missing person reports in a bid to identify the victim.
Detective Chief Inspector Trevor Bowles, leading Operation Trewin, said he believed the man had been murdered, moved to the golf club and torched.
Suggestions that the victim had been mutilated were rejected by DCI Bowles, who also said that the man, aged in his late teens or early 20s, had two tattoos, both on his upper arms, one of which was unfinished.
"Our first thoughts that a foot had been removed have proved wrong," he added.
A post-mortem examination will be carried out on Sunday which may determine how he died.
Mark Stuart-William, 36, head professional at the club, said the last three holes on the course were closed off while police conducted inquiries.
He said: "I have been a golf professional for around 16 years and I've not heard anything like this happening before.
"Most golf is played in the morning and by the time the body was found, most people had already been round the course."