Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Cameron 'sorry' over Hillsborough perversion of justice

Liverpool fans at Hillsborough, trying to escape severe overcrowding
Liverpool fans at Hillsborough, trying to escape severe overcrowding
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 10: The Hillsborough memorial is covered with tributes at Anfield Stadium, the home of Liverpool Football Club on September 10, 2012 in Liverpool, England. On Wednesday relatives and friends of the 96 victims will see the full disclosure of all documents relating to the disaster when they are made public at Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral. (Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

Prime Minister David Cameron has told the Commons that the Hillsborough disaster "was one of the greatest peace time tragedies of the last century".

Click here to read the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report

Speaking after Prime Minister's Questions he said many of the findings "are deeply distressing".

New evidence - released today by Hillsborough Independent Panel - showed that police "tried to change the record of evidence".

In all, said Mr Cameron, 164 police statements were altered - including the removal of 116 negative comments about the leadership of the police, to push the blame for the tragedy onto the fans.

In his most damning remark he confirmed that police "tried to change the evidence and blame the fans".

Issuing his apology, the Prime Minister said: "On behalf of the country I am profoundly sorry for the double injustice suffered by the familes of the victims.

The new evidence raised "must be examined", and the Attorney General would be considering it as quickly as possible.

The Prime Minister said the panel had found the safety of the crowds at Hillsborough had been "compromised at every level".

Downing Street confirmed that Mr Cameron received a copy of the Hillsborough report this morning, after it was seen by the families.

The Prime Minister said there was no evidence of government departments trying to conceal the truth.

The Hillsborough Independent Panel this morning released 400,000 pages of previously unpublished official documents relating to the disaster

The families of the 96 football fans who died in Britain's deadliest sporting disaster were the first to see documents from 8am.

A report into the disaster by Lord Justice Taylor, published in 1990, found that the main reason for the disaster was a failure of "police control" but the Crown Prosecution Service decided there was insufficient evidence to bring a prosecution.

The victims' families say it is an injustice that no individual or organisation has been held fully accountable for the disaster. They believe a major incident plan was never initiated by South Yorkshire Police and fans in the Leppings Lane end were denied emergency medical attention.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz