Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 12 July 2014

Campaigner deletes Twitter account

Caroline Criado-Perez whose abuse at the hands of Twitter trolls sparked headlines and debate about the nature of social networks

A feminist campaigner subjected to rape and death threats on Twitter has deleted her account on the site, a day after raising concerns about the police investigation into the abuse.

Caroline Criado-Perez, from north London, was subjected to a string of violent and obscene messages after she was involved in a campaign to have a woman's picture printed on a new banknote.

On Thursday, she claimed police had lost evidence linked to the case, which was denied by Scotland Yard, and criticised officers for a lack of sensitivity.

She said: "It's just appalling. I got an email saying 'why don't you go through what you've had' from three users with certain handles. It just shows such insensitivity to someone who's been through so much, I can't believe it. I've spent the afternoon crying just from the sheer awfulness of it. They wanted me to go through all the Tweets again because of their incompetence. Every time I have to go through it it's reliving it all over again."

Ms Criado-Perez received a fresh stream of violent rape threats on Thursday which she sent to police.

Scotland Yard said officers are trying to contact the campaigner to talk about the case.

A spokesman said: "We are now in a position to confirm that the Metropolitan Police Service has not lost any evidence gathered as part of this investigation. The tweets referred to by the complainant have in fact already been put to a suspect in interview.

"We are still trying to make contact with the complainant so we can discuss this matter with her and explain our approach, tactics and a summary of the evidence we hold. As there are three people currently on bail we will not be discussing further details of this case, except for directly with the complainant, as we must be careful that we do not do anything that may prejudice potential prosecutions."

A 21-year-old arrested in Manchester, a 25-year-old man questioned by Northumbria Police and a 32-year-old man arrested in Bristol are all due to answer police bail in mid-September.

Last month Twitter introduced a "report tweet" option for users who are sent abusive messages.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz