Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 18 September 2014

Clashes hinder MH17 crash recovery

A new body to decide on safe flight paths is needed to prevent a repeat of the MH17 crash, an airline boss said

Plans to retrieve the remaining bodies from the MH17 crash were scuppered as Ukrainian government forces and pro-Russian separatists clashed in the area where the plane went down.

Dutch and Australian police officers who were due to visit the crash site in eastern Ukraine had to postpone their trip due to an escalation in violence.

Ten days after the disaster on July 17, which killed all 298 people on board the Malaysia Airlines flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, a full investigation is yet to get under way.

Alexander Hug, the deputy head of a monitoring team from the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe, said it was too dangerous for the unarmed forensic experts to travel to the crash site from their current location in Donetsk.

Mr Hug said: "We reassess the situation continuously and we will start to redeploy tomorrow morning back to the site if the situation changes."

Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte said that he had rejected the idea of deploying armed troops to secure the crash site because there was no way to achieve "military superiority" in the region.

Commenting on the Dutch-led operation, Australian prime minister Tony Abbott conceded: "This is a risky mission. There's no doubt about that.

"But all the professional advice that I have is that the safest way to conduct it is unarmed, as part of a police-led humanitarian mission."

Meanwhile, Malaysian prime minister Najib Razak said in a statement that he had received assurances from pro-Russia separatists that they would provide protection for investigators.

Flights from Ukraine to the Netherlands have so far delivered 227 coffins containing victims' remains which forensic experts are working to identify.

The Foreign Office said it was still waiting for updates on the identification of the ten British passport-holders who were killed in the crash.

The brother of one British victim, Cameron Dalziel, spoke today of his family's pain as they endure "a waiting game" ahead of the formal identification of his body.

Campbell Dalziel told the Sunday Times that the father of two's wife Reine is "absolutely distraught".

He said: "We need closure. I know Cameron is gone. It's getting the death certificate. At the moment it's a waiting game."

Meanwhile, the US made fresh accusations against Russia, claiming that it had fired rockets more than seven miles into eastern Ukraine between July 21 and July 26.

The State Department released satellite images which it said showed blast rockets from where the rockets were launched and craters where they landed.

The US and the Ukrainian government in Kiev have both blamed pro-Russian fighters for bringing down flight MH17 using a Buk surface-to-air missile after mistaking the Boeing 777 for a Ukrainian military aircraft.

Fighting in the troubled region today centred around the town of Horlivka, around 20 miles north of the main rebel-held city of Donetsk.

The Donetsk regional government, which remains loyal to Kiev but has left the area, said that at least 13 people, including two children aged one and five, were killed in fighting there.

It also claimed that another five people had been killed in clashes in a suburb north of Donetsk.

The two nearest mid-sized towns to the crash site, Snizhne and Torez, also witnessed fighting, according to local media.

Ukraine's National Security Council declared that government forces had made gains, while the separatist military command in Donetsk said that rebel fighters were holding their ground.

Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, Malaysia Airlines commercial director Hugh Dunleavy called for the creation of a new body to decide which flight paths are safe in the wake of the MH17 tragedy.

Despite flying over a conflict zone, MH17's flight path had been approved by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), the Ukrainian authorities and the European airspace service provider Eurocontrol, Mr Dunleavy said.

He argued that airlines and existing aviation bodies should "review existing processes and set more stringent standards".

"Ultimately, we need one body to be the arbiter of where we can fly," he said.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz