Belfast Telegraph

Monday 22 September 2014

Fluke fire started by bedroom mirror

A family were forced to flee their home after a fire was set off by sunshine intensified by a bedroom mirror.

The property in Leek, Staffordshire was evacuated after evening sunshine was concentrated by the dresser mirror and set fire to the curtains which then spread to the bedding and furniture. The Whittaker family were downstairs when the incident began.

"When I heard the fire alarm go off I went upstairs to see what was going on. When I opened the door I couldn't breate. The smoke hit me," Jean Whittaker (65) told the Daily Express.

The family then escaped from the house to raise the alarm. The fire service managed to put out the fire but the room was totally destroyed.

"The fire-fighters said it was a strange fluke that could have happened at any time," Jean added.

Manager of the local fire station, Carl Mason, said: "The cause is bizzare but not unheard of. The important thing was the smoke alarms were working."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz