Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 21 September 2014

I'll clear my name, vows Dizaei

Former Scotland Yard commander Ali Dizaei tells a press conference how he had left prison 'with my integrity completely intact'
Former Scotland Yard commander Ali Dizaei kisses his wife Shy at a press conference at the Churchill Hyatt Regency hotel, London

Former Scotland Yard commander Ali Dizaei has said his integrity is "completely intact" as he walked out of prison after his corruption conviction was quashed.

Dizaei, 48, will face a retrial over claims he framed Waad al-Baghdadi after a row in a London street.

He was let out of Leyhill open prison after Lord Justice Hughes and two other judges said the Court of Appeal had been "driven to the conclusion" that his conviction "cannot be regarded as safe".

Dizaei, who was serving a four-year jail sentence, praised his wife for helping secure his appeal triumph. He added: "I will remain determined to clear my name."

The 48-year-old, who was jailed in February last year after a trial at London's Southwark Crown Court, said he had not given up hope of returning as an officer at Scotland Yard.

Dizaei said his 15 months in prison had been "hell" and "like putting a hand in a wasps' nest".

He added: "I was assaulted on a number of occasions. Had it not been for my wife (Shy), I would have broken down. I have kept my faith."

Dizaei added that he would "still be in the cells" without Shy's "single-handed" and "relentless" efforts.

He was granted bail after Lord Justice Hughes, sitting with Mr Justice Treacy and Mr Justice Cranston, said: "We are satisfied that it is in the interests of justice that there should be a retrial."

The ruling follows a hearing in March during which allegations were made about the credibility of Mr Baghdadi, the key witness in the case against Dizaei. A jury found Dizaei guilty of attempting to frame Mr Baghdadi when they fell out over money.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz