Former Metropolitan Police assistant commissioner John Yates has been cleared of misconduct over allegations that he secured a Scotland Yard job for the daughter of hacking suspect Neil Wallis, the police watchdog said.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said that there was no evidence of misconduct which would justify disciplinary proceedings in relation to the claims.
Mr Yates was one of a number of Scotland Yard chiefs forced to quit in the phone hacking scandal. He was cleared in August of any misconduct in relation to that.
The IPCC said in a statement: "As a result of an independent investigation conducted by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), former MPS (Metropolitan Police Service) Assistant Commissioner John Yates has been notified that the IPCC has found no evidence of misconduct which would justify disciplinary proceedings in relation to allegations about forwarding a CV for the purposes of employment at the MPS. The final report which will confirm these findings will be finalised in the coming weeks."
Mr Yates said: "I am extremely pleased that the IPCC have cleared me of all misconduct matters referred to them by the MPA (Metropolitan Police Authority). As I stated at the time of my resignation, I acted with complete integrity and my conscience is clear. It is a matter of great regret that these referrals forced my premature resignation. I will not comment any further on these matters until the IPCC has published its full report."
In August, former Met Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson and ex-assistants Mr Yates, Andy Hayman and Peter Clarke were cleared of misconduct relating to the force's inquiry into phone hacking at the now defunct News of the World. This was despite the "damaging effect of the perceived inadequate response" to criminal activities at the tabloid, the IPCC said then.
Mr Yates, who had resigned with Sir Paul the previous month, said in August: "I strongly deny any wrongdoing and I am completely confident that I will be exonerated."
The officers were cleared after the crisis was reignited by fresh evidence claiming phone hacking was "widely discussed" at the now axed tabloid under the editorship of Andy Coulson.
Sir Paul resigned on July 17 amid controversy about the Met's decision to award a PR consultancy contract to former News of the World executive editor Mr Wallis, who had been arrested over phone hacking three days earlier.
Mr Yates stood down the next day after being warned he faced suspension and an investigation by the police watchdog into his 2009 ruling against relaunching the hacking inquiry and allegations he inappropriately secured a Scotland Yard job for Mr Wallis's daughter.