Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 20 December 2014

Killer Dale Cregan on hunger strike

Dale Cregan was jailed for life for the murders of two unarmed policewomen and a father and son (Greater Manchester Police/PA)
Dale Cregan was jailed for life for the murders of two unarmed policewomen and a father and son (Greater Manchester Police/PA)

One-eyed police killer Dale Cregan has gone on hunger strike in an apparent bid to be moved to another prison.

The 30-year-old was jailed for life in June for the ruthless murders of two unarmed policewomen and a father and son.

He is now refusing food at HMP Full Sutton, near York, reportedly in an attempt to get transferred to Strangeways prison in Manchester.

Jonathan Reynolds, Stalybridge and Hyde MP, told the Daily Mirror he believes Cregan is just trying to grab people's attention. Mr Reynolds said: "He is clearly proud of the reputation he has gained and this is now one of the few ways he has of getting the attention that he craves. Hopefully he will be dealt with accordingly and can get right back to serving his sentence in whichever way the authorities see fit."

Strangeways is closer to the notorious gangster's hometown of Droylsden, Greater Manchester, and his family.

He is currently believed to be in segregation at Full Sutton to shield him from ongoing safety threats, with reports suggesting there is an underworld reward of £20,000 for anyone who damages his remaining good eye.

A Prison Service spokeswoman refused to comment on Cregan's status or condition, but added: "We take food refusal extremely seriously. If a prisoner chooses to refuse food for any reason, the Prison Service works with healthcare staff to monitor their physical and mental health.

"Prisoners who are considered mentally capable are entitled to refuse health interventions, provided they fully understand the consequences of their decision."

Cregan lured Pcs Nicola Hughes, 23, and Fiona Bone, 32, to their deaths in a horrifying gun and grenade attack on September 18 last year. He had gone on the run days before killing David Short, 46, last August after gunning down his son, Mark, 23, at the Cotton Tree Pub in Droylsden three months earlier.

The manhunt reached a ghastly conclusion when Cregan ambushed the constables following a bogus 999 call to a house in Abbey Gardens in Hattersley. He was given a whole life sentence at Preston Crown Court in June.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz