Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 19 April 2014

Lawrence murder probe 'still live'

Gary Dobson and David Norris were jailed last year for their roles in the killing of 18-year-old Stephen Lawrence in April 1993

The detective leading the investigation into the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence has insisted the inquiry is still live, 20 years after the teenager died.

Detective Chief Inspector Clive Driscoll said that "all avenues remain open" and he and his team will follow any leads to try to catch the remainder of the teenager's killers who are still at large.

Last year, Gary Dobson and David Norris were jailed for their roles in the mindless killing of 18-year-old Stephen - who was stabbed as he waited for a bus in Eltham, south-east London on April 22 1993.

A group of five or six racist thugs set upon the aspiring architect, but none of the other attackers has been brought to justice.

Mr Driscoll, who has led the inquiry since 2006, said: "It's a live investigation. All avenues of the investigation will be left open and we will revisit them whenever we feel we have to. You never close your mind to anything. We will endeavour to follow all the leads that we can. We would welcome anyone that feels that they have information that can assist us to come forward. It can be in confidence or via a third party."

Stephen's father Neville said he has not given up on the investigation, while the teenager's mother Doreen said she will not allow herself to get her hopes up about any possible developments in the case.

She said: "Where the investigation is concerned I'm always on the outside because it's police work. After 20 years will they manage to get any more evidence? I'll never know. There's nothing tangible that I can see. I think at times when you put too much store on someone telling you this, something's happening, you can get yourself in such a state that to be let down again is even worse.

"Even when they were telling me that they thought there was a good chance [with Dobson and Norris] I couldn't believe that. Not because I didn't want to, but I think I'd been led down that road before and I didn't want to get my hopes up."

On Monday, a poster with a message from Met commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe about the case will be put up at New Scotland Yard. It reads: "Twenty years ago the Lawrence family lost their loved son, Stephen. We let them down by not catching his murderers. Then last year we finally brought two of his killers to justice. The Met won't forget Stephen Lawrence."

He is expected to attend the memorial service for Stephen being held at St Martin-in-the-Fields, near Trafalgar Square, on Monday afternoon.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz