Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Man arrested in music schools probe

Police are investigating allegations of abuse at Chetham's School of Music in Manchester

Another arrest has been made by detectives investigating historic sexual abuse claims at two music schools.

The 65-year-old man was arrested last week on suspicion of indecent assault and attempted buggery.

His arrest is part of Greater Manchester Police's (GMP) ongoing investigation into historic sexual abuse at the Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM) and Chetham's School of Music.

A police spokesman said the man had been bailed until September 24, pending further inquiries. He added: "The offence relates to the sexual assault of a 15-year-old girl in the late 1970s, while she was a pupil at Chetham's School of Music."

The arrested man was a former teacher at Chetham's but it is understood that he no longer works there.

In May, GMP said more than 30 women had made complaints that they suffered sexual abuse from classical music teachers. Ten key suspects have been identified in the wide-ranging inquiry called Operation Kiso.

Those suspects either taught at Chetham's, the RNCM or privately. Some 39 individuals have been investigated so far in the operation, of whom five are dead.

Violin teacher Wen Zhou Li, 57, a professor at the RNCM and a former teacher at Chetham's, was held in February on suspicion of rape and is on bail pending further inquiries.

The allegations come in the fall-out from the high-profile sex abuse trial earlier this year of former music director at Chetham's Michael Brewer. He was jailed for six years in March after he was found guilty of indecently assaulting ex-pupil Frances Andrade, 48, more than 30 years ago when she was 14 and 15.

Mrs Andrade killed herself at her home in Guildford, Surrey, a week after giving evidence against him. The trial heard historic allegations that sexual activity between teachers and pupils at Chetham's was not uncommon.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz