Belfast Telegraph

Friday 18 April 2014

Man assaulted boy he thought was a bully

A man who believed a 12-year-old boy was bullying his son pleaded guilty to two charges of assault on the boy when he appeared at Londonderry Magistrates Court yesterday.

Cyril Ming (43), of Grianan Drive in the city, admitted assaulting the boy on May 8.

He also pleaded guilty to another assault that occurred sometime between April 1 and May 9 this year.

The court was told that police received a report of a male child alleging he had been assaulted by the defendant, whom he identified.

The boy said that Ming had grabbed him by the arm and thrown him into a hedge. He claimed this happened three times.

On the other occasion, it was said Ming grabbed the boy and stood on his foot.

The court heard there were bruises on his rib cage and his toes were bandaged.

Defence barrister Eoin Devlin told the court that his client had admitted the matters but wanted to put it into context.

He said that the incidents occurred in the context of some bullying of Ming's son.

The judge said that there were other ways to deal with such situations and added he was pleased there had been no incidents since.

Ming was fined £200 and ordered to pay the boy £300 in compensation.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz