Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 17 April 2014

Man charged over Palace incident

A man carrying a knife has been arrested while trying to gain entrance to Buckingham Palace

A 44 year-old man has been charged with trespass and possession of a bladed article after being arrested at Buckingham Palace today, Scotland Yard said.

David Belmar, of Haringey, north London, is to appear in custody at West London Magistrates' Court tomorrow.

He been charged with trespass on a Protected Site contrary to Section 128 of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 and possession of a bladed/pointed article contrary to Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988.

He was arrested after allegedly trying to get into Buckingham Palace with a knife.

He was held at around 11.30am when he allegedly attempted to get through the north centre gate and was stopped by police. Officers searched him and he was allegedly found to have a knife.

Buckingham Palace said that the Queen was not in the building when the man tried to get in, but would make no further comment.

Last month another security alert was sparked at the palace when a suspected burglar managed to get into the building after scaling a fence.

He was found at around 10.30pm on September 2 in a room that had been open to the public during the day. A second man was arrested outside the palace on suspicion of conspiracy to commit burglary.

Less than 48 hours later, amid heightened security, two police officers confronted the Duke of York in the palace gardens demanding to know who he was.

Scotland Yard later issued a public apology to the royal, and in response he issued a statement to say protection officers have "a difficult job" and he was grateful that the force had apologised.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz