Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 18 December 2014

Man loses murder conviction appeal

Elliot Turner has lost his appeal against a conviction for murdering 17-year-old Emily Longley
Elliot Turner has lost his appeal against a conviction for murdering 17-year-old Emily Longley
Aspiring model Emily Longley was murdered by her boyfriend Elliot Turner

A young man found guilty of murdering his aspiring model girlfriend has lost his appeal against conviction.

Wealthy jeweller's son Elliot Turner, now 21, from Bournemouth, Dorset, was present in the dock at the Court of Appeal in London for the ruling by the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge, sitting with Mr Justice Royce and Mr Justice Globe.

In May last year he was sentenced to life and ordered to serve at least 16 years before he can apply for parole after he was convicted by a jury at Winchester Crown Court of murdering 17-year-old Emily Longley.

After hearing argument on Turner's behalf and from a QC representing the prosecution, Lord Judge announced that the court had decided to reject Turner's challenge. He said the court had reached the "clear conclusion" that the appeal should be dismissed. The court also threw out Turner's bid to have his sentence reduced. The judges will give their reasons for their decision at a date to be announced.

A large number of the victim's family were in court, including members who had travelled from their home in New Zealand.

When sentencing Turner, Mrs Justice Dobbs said he had "bullied, harassed, threatened and assaulted" Emily to control her as his "trophy'" girlfriend.

Turner's QC Anthony Donne told the appeal judges: "The appeal against conviction centres on the use by the police of a covert listening device at the appellant's family home in Bournemouth following his release on police bail after his arrest on suspicion of the murder of his girlfriend Emily Longley on the night of 6/7 May 2011."

As well as hearing submissions on the safety of the conviction from Mr Donne, the judges also heard argument from Timothy Mousley QC, opposing the appeal on behalf of the prosecution.

Speaking on behalf of the family, Emily's grandfather, Ron Longley, said afterwards: "We are profoundly relieved. It's the end of a very anxious year. Finally we hope we can draw the line under the legal process and somehow come to terms with the situation."

The teenager had come from New Zealand to study at college just eight months before her death.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz