Belfast Telegraph

Friday 11 July 2014

Men on trial over 'honour killing'

Three men have gone on trial over the 'honour killing' of Banaz Mahmod

Two men who were extradited from Iraq have gone on trial at the Old Bailey accused of taking part in the "honour killing" of Banaz Mahmod.

The 20-year-old was strangled in January 2006 and her body buried in a suitcase in Birmingham.

She had been attacked at her family home in Mitcham, south London, by a group of men at the "instigation" of her father and uncle after falling in love with a man they did not approve of.

Her uncle, Ari Mahmod, and father, Mahmod Mahmod, were jailed for life, along with Mohamad Hama, for her murder in 2007.

Mohammed Saleh Ali and Omar Hussain, alleged to be among the killers, fled Britain for Iraq after the murder, Victor Temple, QC, prosecuting, told the court.

They had both since been extradited and charged with the murder.

Ali and Hussain, both 28, and of no fixed address, deny murdering Miss Mahmod, burying her body, conspiring to kidnap her boyfriend Rahmat Suleimani and threatening to kill him.

A third man, Sadar Mahmood, 27, of Messenger Road, Birmingham, is not charged with murder but is being tried for the other offences, which he denies.

Mr Temple alleged the three accused were part of a "wide-ranging joint enterprise" which led to Miss Mahmod's death.

Mr Temple said Miss Mahmod's family of Iraqi Kurds had been given political asylum in Britain, but retained some of their customs and were part of the close-knit Kurdish community in London where the uncle was wealthy and wielded influence.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz