A senior journalist at the Sun newspaper has been sacked in relation to his previous work at the News of the World.
The employee dismissed is thought to be Matt Nixson, who had been features editor at The Sun since last January, Sky News reported.
His computer was also seized.
Mr Nixson joined The Sun in 2005 and rose to become a features editor before being appointed head of news by Andy Coulson
A spokeswoman said last night: “News Corporation's Management and Standards Committee (MSC) can confirm that News International today terminated the contract of a member of staff in relation to his previous work at the News of the World.
“The MSC is authorised to co-operate fully with all relevant investigations and inquiries in the News of the World phone-hacking case, police payments and all other related issues across News International, as well as conducting its own inquiries where appropriate.”
Meanwhile, Greg Miskiw, the former News of the World executive named in Parliament as one of several “gatekeepers” on the paper authorised to order phone hacking, said yesterday he will return to Britain from Florida and face questioning by police.
The 61-year-old, who was revealed on Wednesday to have spent recent months living in the resort of Palm Beach, told reporters outside his rented flat that his solicitor had been in |contact with Scotland Yard for “some time” and that he expected to fly back to London “momentarily”.
Officers from Operation Weeting, the Yard's investigation into the phone-hacking scandal, are understood to have been wanting to speak to Mr Miskiw since shortly after the launch of the new inquiry in January.
He left Britain last year and his whereabouts were not publicly known until this week, when he was tracked down in a leafy neighbourhood close to the beach.