Belfast Telegraph

Friday 24 October 2014

NoTW executives face hacking quiz

Two senior executives from the News of the World are expected to be summoned back to Parliament to be questioned over James Murdoch's conduct during a critical episode in the phone hacking scandal.

Colin Myler, the newspaper's former editor, and Tom Crone, its former legal manager, are both known to be angry about their treatment by News International. They are set to return to face questions from the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee about Mr Murdoch's involvement in paying off hacking victims.

Last week, the two men issued a statement flatly contradicting Mr Murdoch's evidence to the committee two days earlier. They insisted they had told him about an email containing evidence of hacking that would have scuppered the Murdoch newspaper group's repeated claims that only one "rogue reporter" was involved.

The "for Neville" email, a reference to Neville Thurlbeck, the paper's former chief reporter, lies at the heart of the hacking scandal. It played a critical role in NI's decision to pay a reported £700,000 to Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, in an out-of-court settlement after he claimed his phone had been hacked. The payment was sanctioned by James Murdoch, chairman of News Corp.

The two executives say they told Mr Murdoch about the "for Neville" email, which included transcripts of voicemail messages suggesting the practice was not limited to Clive Goodman, the paper's former royal editor and the private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, who were jailed in 2007.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz