Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Occupy protesters leave Barbican

Occupy London protesters take over Roman House in the Barbican

Occupy London protesters who took over an office building in the City have left the site just hours after they occupied it.

The economic justice campaigners entered Roman House in the Barbican at about 3.30am on Saturday, the fifth occupation they have carried out to date.

But on Saturday night they decided to leave the building after a request from contractors employed by its owners.

Although Berkeley Homes had described the occupation as "potentially dangerous", protesters said they chose to leave to avoid putting at risk the jobs of those working on the building.

The campaigners said in a statement: "Occupy London was contacted by individual workers employed by Berkeley Homes who were concerned for their job security as it transpired they were recently employed to help renovate the building.

"In light of these discussions, yesterday evening it was decided to leave the building.

"We trust that Berkeley Homes will ensure that their redevelopment of the site will make adequate provision for affordable housing."

City of London Police said the protesters left of their own accord.

A police spokesman said the building had been secured once more and there was no longer a police presence there.

Occupy London had planned to open the building to the public on Sunday for a lecture on the City's "secret finances and lobbying activities". They are now vowing to hold the event "in the open areas of the Barbican centre itself".

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz