Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Poison fish alert for swimmers

Bathers have been warned of the dangers of stepping on the UK's most poisonous fish — described as a “toxic terror”.

Staff at the Blue Reef Aquarium in Portsmouth are putting out the advice after a weever fish was brought in to the centre by a local fisherman.

Spokesman Lindsay Holloway said that although the chances of stepping on the fish are slight, the pain endured can be “excruciating” and can cause limbs to swell up, with the pain lasting for up to two weeks.

He said: “The chances of actually stepping on a weever fish are very small, but there are some basic precautions to avoid getting stung. The simplest is to wear some form of footwear in the water.

“If you do get stung, the most effective treatment is to put the affected limb in very warm water — although not too hot or you risk scalding”.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz