Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 25 October 2014

Police dismiss absconder 'sighting'

Police have ruled out a possible sighting of absconded prisoner Ivan Leach, also known as Lee Cyrus (Lancashire Police)
Ivan Leach did not return from day release to North Sea Camp open prison in Boston, Lincolnshire, earlier this month

A potential sighting of a "dangerous and predatory" absconded prisoner has been ruled out by police.

Ivan Leach, also known as Lee Cyrus, went missing from North Sea Camp open prison in Boston, Lincolnshire, having failed to return from day release on October 9.

The 47-year-old is suspected to have committed a serious sex attack in Tayside while on the run and the public are warned not to approach him under any circumstances as he poses a significant risk.

The last known sighting of him was in his home town of Preston on October 19. Tayside Police said more than 100 sightings of him have been reported in the force area in the last two weeks.

Grampian Police were earlier investigating a possible sighting of Leach in the Boddam area of Aberdeenshire on Wednesday night. Two officers on patrol saw a man matching his description on a bike in Claymore Crescent.

But a police spokesman said it has now been confirmed that the man was not Leach. He said: "Further to the earlier appeal for information, Grampian Police can confirm that the man seen in Boddam last night has been now positively identified and is not Lee Cyrus."

Crimestoppers are offering up to £3.000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Leach, and posters of him are being distributed across the UK to be put up in shops, bus and train stations in an effort to trace him.

Grampian Police are also investigating the rape of a young woman in Aberdeen on Saturday morning. Officers said they are keeping an open mind about the identity of the rapist and are not focusing on a specific individual.

Detective Chief Inspector Martin Dunn said: "Between 6am and 7.30am the victim walked along Union Terrace, past the theatre and left on to Blackfriars Street. She then travelled along St Andrew Street before turning left and walking right along George Street. She then went right into Bedford Road before moving on to Bedford Avenue, where the attack happened.

"The male involved is described as around 30 years of age, white, around 6ft in height, of medium build with an unkempt appearance. He was also wearing a black hooded top, a red, white and blue scarf, and grey or black hiking boots with thick laces."

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz