Belfast Telegraph

Monday 22 September 2014

Scores rescued from theme park ride

Thirty-nine people were trapped on a ride at Chessington World of Adventures

Scores of people including children have been rescued after being stranded on a theme park ride.

Emergency services were called to Chessington World of Adventures in Surrey shortly after 5pm on Sunday - by which time those on board the Rameses Revenge ride had already spent an hour suspended 20ft (6m) in the air, witnesses said. At its height, around 40 people were trapped on board the ride after a fault.

Justin Coo, of London Fire Brigade, told Sky News that children as young as eight were likely to have been on it but as there was a minimum height requirement of 1.4 metres, there were not thought to be any younger. Many of those trapped were "agitated and stressed" he said.

One mother whose 13-year-old daughter was on board said the ride stopped at around 4pm when the electrics failed.

She told Sky News: "They have been sending up water and sun cream to them because it was rather hot initially. They are taking children down first. There are some kids on there with learning difficulties that are being brought down."

The woman added: "It is very concerning because they were stuck and all the electrics failed. They were on the ride for 90 minutes before the fire and rescue service came out to them."

Fire crews had to cut through harnesses to release those on board. The theme park on Sunday night confirmed there were no injuries and apologised to those caught up in the rescue operation.

In a statement, Chessington said: "At 4.06pm the Rameses Revenge at Chessington World of Adventures Resort in Surrey experienced a technical problem. This resulted in the automatic fail-safe system bringing the ride to a controlled stop. Experienced resort staff were on site immediately to assist with guest care.

"No guests were injured in the incident. A small number of people were on the ride at the time and the resort's engineers worked with the emergency services implementing well-rehearsed procedures to ensure their comfort and safe removal from the ride. We are very sorry for any discomfort our guests experienced during the delay."

A spokesman confirmed the attraction would be open on Monday.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz