Belfast Telegraph

Friday 19 September 2014

Soldier killed in Afghanistan blast

The Ministry of Defence said the soldier had been killed in Helmand Province

A British soldier has been killed in an explosion in southern Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has said

The serviceman, from 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, died while on a patrol in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand Province on Friday morning. His family have been informed.

A total of 340 UK troops have died since operations in Afghanistan began in 2001.

Lieutenant Colonel David Eastman, spokesman for Task Force Helmand, said: "The soldier was carrying out a patrol in the Nahr-e Saraj area of the province, providing a reassuring presence to the local population seeking to go about their daily lives in peace, when he was hit by an explosion.

"He gave his life protecting the people of the United Kingdom and Afghanistan - no more could be asked of any man. He will be sorely missed."

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz