A Frankie & Benny's restaurant in the UK has been forced to apologise after a toddler was served whiskey instead of fruit juice at his birthday party.
Two-year-old Sonny Rees was served the spirit at the global chain's outlet in Swansea, Wales.
Sonny had nearly finished the 40 per cent proof drink before his mother, Nina, 34, discovered the mistake.
She said: "We noticed he was pulling a face as he was drinking. I took a sip myself. It was whiskey, I would say a double.
"Sonny had taken about 10 sips - he was obviously intoxicated."
He was taken to hospital, but was later allowed home.
A Frankie and Benny's spokesman said the company was "incredibly sorry" for the mistake.
The toddler is now recovering at home. The restaurant is investigating how the incident happened.
Dr Dewi Evans, a consultant paediatrician, said alcohol in a large dose could lead to a child becoming unconscious
Sonny's mother Nina Rees, 34, said: "We went to the restaurant just after midday and I had ordered him lime juice and water, his favourite.
"The drinks arrived and I was encouraging him to take sips because he was eating salty things.
"We had finished our first course when we noticed he was pulling a face as he was drinking.
"I took it from him and took a sip myself."
A Frankie and Benny's spokesman said: "The company is incredibly sorry for what happened. It was a human error and we are putting measures in place to ensure it never happens again."