Belfast Telegraph

Friday 19 December 2014

Top UK police officer Yates believes his phone was hacked

Assistant Commissioner John Yates gives evidence to a Commons Home Affairs Committee regarding recent phone hacking allegations
Assistant Commissioner John Yates gives evidence to a Commons Home Affairs Committee regarding recent phone hacking allegations
News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks
Rupert Murdoch
News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks and Rupert Murdoch are seen outside Mr Murdoch's London flat
Rupert Murdoch leaves the Stafford Hotel, London,after a meeting with his son James and News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks

One of Britain's top policemen said today that he was "99% certain" his phone had been hacked, as MPs grilled him about his decision not to reopen the investigation into the scandal

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner John Yates told the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee he believed his voicemail messages were illegally intercepted in 2005-06.

He noted that this was a "particularly difficult time" for Scotland Yard but said he did not know who carried out the hacking.

Former Metropolitan Police commissioner Lord Blair told the committee his home and mobile telephone numbers were found on lists obtained by detectives investigating phone hacking at the News of the World.

But he said he had no evidence that anyone listened to his voicemails.

Mr Yates, the Met's head of counter-terrorism, told MPs: "From the methods I know that are used, and the impact it has on your phone, your pin number, I am 99% certain my phone was hacked during a period of 2005-06.

"Who by, I don't know. The records don't exist any more."

He added: "It arrived from my own knowledge - I know what happened to my phone. It was a particularly difficult time for the Met."

Scotland Yard officers carrying out the phone-hacking inquiry, known as Operation Weeting, are examining 11,000 pages of material containing nearly 4,000 names of possible hacking victims.

Lord Blair, Britain's former top policeman, told the committee: "What I am aware of is that my mobile and home telephone numbers were within the files that have been examined.

"I have no evidence and nor, as I am aware, does Operation Weeting have any evidence to suggest that those phones were hacked."

He also said an earlier inquiry into phone hacking by the News of the World while he was head of Scotland Yard was "not a major issue at the time".

"Never during my period of office, which ended in 2008, did it become a major issue," he said.

Mr Yates expressed regret at his 2009 ruling that there was no need to reopen the phone-hacking investigation.

But he insisted he had always told the truth to the Home Affairs Select Committee and suggested that the News of the World "failed to co-operate" with police until the start of this year.

"I can assure you all that I have never lied and all the information that I've provided to this committee has been given in good faith," he told the MPs.

"It is a matter of great concern that, for whatever reason, the News of the World appears to have failed to co-operate in the way that we now know they should have with the relevant police inquiries up until January of this year.

"They have only recently supplied information and evidence that would clearly have had a significant impact on the decisions that I took in 2009 had it been provided to us."





COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz