Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 23 August 2014

Tributes for tragic caravan family

Devon and Cornwall Police are investigating the deaths of three people at a caravan park

Tributes have been paid to a family of three who all died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a caravan park.

The deceased have been named locally as John Cook, 90, his wife Audrey, 86, and their 46-year-old daughter Maureen.

Firefighters were forced to break into their static caravan at Tremarle Home Park, North Roskear, Cornwall, after a helper became concerned for their welfare.

News of the tragedy has rocked the close-knit residential park - where many elderly couples live. Neighbour Sue Issacs, 58, said: "Everyone here is in total shock. You never think that something like this would happen on your own doorstep. John, Audrey and Maureen were lovely people. It's so upsetting to think that three members of the same family have been wiped out in one go."

The alarm was raised at around 1pm on Saturday after the family failed to respond to knocks on the door from the couple's helper, who became worried.

As well as claiming the life of John, Audrey and Maureen, their family dog, a five-year-old Jack Russell called Jannie also died. It is believed the family may have been using a heater to keep warm as the region experienced freezing conditions overnight into the weekend.

Scores of floral tributes have been left outside the Cook family's bungalow-style mobile home - with one card reading: "The Cook family, rest in peace. So sorry to hear of the tragic news."

Friend Julie Boon, 55, said the whole community was left shocked and devastated. She said: "I saw Maureen and her mum on Thursday morning when they were walking their dog. Maureen asked about my dog and her mum commented on the cold weather and then they went. That's the last time I saw them. They were a lovely family who loved their dog and their home. The whole community is shocked and devastated."

Local councillor David Biggs described the incident as an "appalling tragedy", adding: "Tremarle Park is a residential caravan site and has provided homes for people for many years. It's a well established facility and is very well run. It was a shock to learn that three people have died there."

The three deaths comes less than a fortnight after an elderly woman died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at her home in nearby St Ives.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz