Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 31 August 2014

Warnings ignored in anaphylactic death case, court told

The mother of a man who died from anaphylactic shock believes medical staff treating him ignored her warnings he had suffered allergic reactions to medication in the past, a court has heard.

A preliminary hearing into the death of 22-year-old Tryson Gerard Joseph Rowan heard how he took an overdose and was admitted to the accident and emergency department at Antrim Area Hospital. He died on August 8, 2006.

A post mortem found he died as a result of anaphylactic shock probably brought on as a result of an allergy to acetycysteine.

The hearing in Belfast yesterday was told Mr Rowan, of Main Street, Waterfoot, was given the drug to counteract the effects of the paracetamol overdose.

However, the court heard there had been no medical negligence in relation to the case and staff at the hospital followed national guidelines in their treatment of Mr Rowan prior to his death.

The hearing was adjourned until the end of next month.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz