Belfast Telegraph

Monday 22 December 2014

Young torturers challenge sentences

Police stand guard at the site where two brothers, who are challenging their sentences, sadistically tortured a pair of young boys
Police stand guard at the site where two brothers, who are challenging their sentences, sadistically tortured a pair of young boys

Two brothers who sadistically tortured a pair of young boys near Doncaster are launching challenges against their sentences.

The pair, who were 10 and 11 at the time of the attack, were given indeterminate sentences for public protection with minimum terms of five years.

They were sentenced in January by a judge at Sheffield Crown Court for the "appalling and terrible" attack on the nine-year-old and 11-year-old boys in Edlington, near Doncaster, South Yorkshire, in April last year.

Their applications for permission to appeal against sentence will be heard by the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge, sitting at the Court of Appeal in London with Mr Justice David Clarke and Mr Justice Lloyd Jones.

During a three-day sentencing exercise Mr Justice Keith heard how the brothers, now aged 11 and 12, lured their victims to a secluded spot and subjected them to 90 minutes of violence and sexual humiliation.

The victims, who are uncle and nephew, were choked, hit with bricks, made to eat nettles, stripped and forced to sexually abuse each other. The older boy was seriously injured when a piece of ceramic sink was dropped on his head.

Sentencing the brothers the judge said they "got a real kick out of humiliating and hurting" the victims.

The judge was told how the boys watched ultra-violent movies as part of a "toxic home life", which involved "routine aggression, violence and chaos".

The brothers admitted causing their victims grievous bodily harm with intent. They also pleaded guilty to robbing one of the boys of a mobile phone and the other of cash and two counts of intentionally causing a child to engage in sexual activity.

The pair also admitted causing another 11-year-old actual bodily harm a week before the boys were attacked. Mr Justice Keith imposed concurrent sentences on all the charges they admitted and each was placed on the sex offenders' register for a period of three-and-a-half years.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz