Coroner in warning after ecstasy death
Published 04/10/2008 | 11:58
A Northern Ireland Coroner last night warned of the devastating consequences of taking recreational drugs.
Speaking at the inquest of a 26-year-old man who died after taking ecstasy, Brian Sherrard told of the “terrible dangers” concerned with the consumption of illicit narcotics.
Gordon Neill, from Mullacreevie Park in Armagh, died from Methylenedixoymethylamphetamine (MDMA) toxicity on October 6, 2007. The father of one had taken a lethal dose of the illicit drug and had gone to a party in a neighbour’s house.
Toxicology reports revealed that levels of MDMA in his blood were “well in excess” of those usually associated with recreational use of the drug and had disturbed his heart rhythm.
Mr Sherrard said: “This is a stark reminder of the real dangers of taking ecstasy.”
He added: “Whenever people take these types of drugs nobody knows what can happen next.”