New inquest into cosmetic op death
A fresh inquest has been ordered into the death of a Dublin man who died while undergoing cosmetic surgery in Colombia.
High Court president Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns yesterday quashed an earlier open verdict on Pierre Christian Lawlor, and ordered a new inquest.
The judge said Dublin County Coroner Kieran Geraghty should have agreed to Mr Lawlor's family's request to adjourn the July 2008 inquest, given the “unusual and tragic” circumstances.
The adjournment had been sought to see if medical notes from Colombia could be obtained.
Mr Lawlor (33), of Belarmine Place, Stepaside, died on September 3, 2007, at the Centro Colomblade Cirugia Plastica in Bogota while undergoing plastic surgery on his face and torso.
He was holidaying in Colombia with his wife Andrea Galleana (26) and their son when he arranged to have the operation.
Ms Galleana claimed Lawlor had consumed cocaine and alcohol prior to the procedures, despite being told not to use substances 48 hours before surgery.
Lawlor’s parents, Tom and Margaret Lawlor, claimed the coroner was wrong to refuse to adjourn the July 2008 inquest despite medical notes not being available.
Dr Geraghty opposed the application, claiming the notes would not have made a difference. But Mr Justice Kearns said the family had raised legitimate concerns about earlier non-availability of the hospital records.