Belfast Telegraph

Accused won't be bailed until loyalist feud ends

Rival loyalist paramilitaries have carried out beatings and gun attacks on homes as part of an ongoing feud in Antrim, the High Court has heard.

Prosecutors revealed 26 incidents in the last four months are being linked to a dispute between the UVF and the LVF.

Details emerged as a man accused of smashing up a woman's car and trying to menace her was refused bail to return to the town.

Raymond Coburn (31), of Woodgreen, Antrim, faces charges of criminal damage and attempted intimidation.

During the summer he had been released to live with his grandfather in Ballymena.

But in August he revoked his own bail amid claims of a threat from the UVF.

The court heard members of the paramilitary organisation warned him that his grandfather's house would be burned down if he did not leave.

Coburn's application to be allowed back to Antrim was opposed due to continued tensions.

Fiona O'Kane, prosecuting, said: “As a consequence of this ongoing feud that has arisen |between the UVF and LVF in the area since June 26 there have been 26 incidents reported to police involving criminal elements aligned to these factions.”

Coburn is only charged in relation to an attack on a Vauxhall Astra car on July 26.

His barrister Michael Boyd argued that his client is only alleged to have played “a peripheral role” in driving another suspect to the scene.

However, Mr Justice Horner refused to grant bail at this stage.

He said: “If I'm advised this feud is no longer ongoing I think a different view can be taken, but at the minute the advice is that there is an ongoing feud.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph