Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Antrim house fire woman battling for her life after being pulled from blaze property by firefighters

By Steven Alexander

Published 13/01/2016

Firefighters tackle the fire at a detached house in Woodcroft Brae in Ballymena
Firefighters tackle the fire at a detached house in Woodcroft Brae in Ballymena

A woman was rushed to hospital in a critical condition last night after she was saved from a blaze at her Co Antrim home.

Emergency services were called to Woodcroft Brae, Galgorm, on the outskirts of Ballymena at 6.30pm.

The Fire Service said it was told on arrival of fears that there may be people - including two children - inside the two-storey detached house where a blaze had taken hold on the ground floor.

The officer in charge ordered in two water jets, while firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were sent into the property.

One of the team found and rescued the woman, who was taken to Antrim Area Hospital for treatment for serious smoke inhalation.

It is understood emergency workers gave her first aid in the garden before she was taken to hospital.

The Northern Health Trust said the woman, who is in her mid-50s, was in a critical condition last night.

A spokesman for the Fire and Rescue Service added: "The breathing apparatus teams continued to search, as it was believed children may have been present in the house. Thankfully, they were elsewhere during the fire."

An eyewitness said: "The family are lovely people and they are in a bad way about what has happened. They have two teenage children, a boy and girl - they go to Ballymena Academy and Cambridge House - who live in the house, and they also have other children who live away from home.

"At one stage there was a concern as to where the two teenagers who still live at home were, but they were accounted for, thankfully. I dialled 999 when I noticed what had happened but somebody had already done so.

"I've never seen flames like it - it is was a very intense fire and the house is badly damaged. It was very lucky there was no wind or the house next door might have caught fire."

The cause of the fire is being investigating by the PSNI.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph