Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Antrim man Richard Moore dies after 'choking' incident at restaurant

Published 24/12/2015

Richard Moore.
Richard Moore.

A man left fighting for his life after apparently choking on his meal at a popular restaurant has died.

Named locally as Richard Moore, the man was believed to have been enjoying Christmas celebrations with colleagues at the Ramore Wine Bar in Portrush earlier this month when he began to choke.

He remained in the intensive care unit at Causeway Hospital in Coleraine where his condition was described as critical.

Mr Moore passed away on Wednesday.

A spokesman for the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service said crews received a call that a man was unconscious but breathing at the restaurant.

But on their arrival, paramedics had to work to get him breathing again.

Hundreds of tributes have been paid to Mr Moore and were led by his football club Wakehurst who shared a photo on their Facebook page.

It said: "Everyone at Wakehurst FC would like to pass on their sympathy to the Moore family today as they mourn the loss of Ric.

"Ric has been a keen follower of the club and in particular the Strollers this season and leaves us after a short illness following a tragic accident.

"RIP Ric.

Mr Moore lived in Cloughmills and was well known in the Ballymena and Cullybackey areas.

The Ballymena Times reports that he was an avid sports fan and a keen follower of the Northern Ireland football and Ulster rugby team.

One tribute said: "He would have walked across 3 aisles just to say hello to me everytime in work. An absolute gentleman in every sense of the word. Nobody could have a bad word to say about him. Very sad news."

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph