Belfast Telegraph

Ardoyne Orange Order march turned down by Parades Commission

The Orange Order has again been barred from completing a controversial march in north Belfast

The Parades Commission was due to deliver its determination last week on an application for three lodges and two bands to parade past the Ardoyne shops but delayed the decision until today to allow more time for behind-the-scenes talks.

Last July three Ligoniel lodges were blocked from the route, part of their return parade for the annual Twelfth marches.

Weekly protest parades and nightly demonstrations have taken place in the area since, with a permanent camp set up at Twaddell Avenue.

The lodges concerned sought to complete the parade on June 7.

In its determination, the commission said "On the outward parade Ligoniel Combine and the accompanying bands and supporters shall not process that part of the notified route between the junction of Woodvale Parade and Woodvale Road and the junction of Hesketh Road and Crumlin Road."

An Orange Order spokesman said the organisation was disappointed by today's decision and would discuss the determination at a meeting later this afternoon.

Loyalist Twaddell protest camp policing bill tops £9 million: 10-month operation in north Belfast 

 

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph