Arrest on suspicion of GBH as east Belfast man remains in critical condition
Conan Anderson (22) received serious head injuries after a night out
Police have arrested a 27 year old man on suspicion of Grievous Bodily Harm after a 22 year old man remains in hospital with life threatening injuries.
Conan Anderson (22) had been out at Thompson's Garage nightclub in the city centre in the early hours of Monday, February 5.
He returned home in the early hours of Monday morning, and although he made it back to his home in the Short Strand around 7.30am, it wasn't until that evening that his injuries became apparent.
On Friday a PSNI spokesperson said: "The matter was reported to police on Wednesday 8th February and enquiries established that an incident had occurred in the early hours of Monday morning in the Arthur Lane area of Belfast.
"A 27-year-old man was arrested in North Belfast on Thursday 9th February on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and later released on police bail pending further enquiries.
"The injured man remains in hospital in a critical condition."
On Thursday night Short Strand residents held a vigil for Conan Anderson, the east Belfast man who is fighting for his life in hospital after suffering serious head injuries during a night out.sister-in-law Shauna McEvoy spoke to the Belfast Telegraph moments before leaving for hospital to be at Conan's hospital bedside along with her family.
"He's changing every minute and he's just deteriorating," she said. "It's very difficult.
"He's fighting very hard for his life at the minute, life support is keeping him alive.
"He's very popular. Social media has lit up and everyone wants to help in some way."
The cause of the young man's injuries is still unknown and his family say they are desperate to retrace his steps over a two-hour period on Monday morning. After leaving Thompson's at around 3am, Conan was next seen leaving the city centre at 5.45am wearing a black padded coat. Ms McEvoy said the family was not sure if he had fallen over and hit his head, or if he was attacked.
It may have been the second attack on the young man in recent months. In November he posted photos of himself on Facebook with facial injuries and wrote that he had been attacked by two or three men.
Ms McEvoy said Conan coached a young football team in the Short Strand and was well known for his voluntary work.
Ms McEvoy has urged anyone who may have seen Conan making his way home on Monday morning to contact her on 07923 080 463.
Information can also be passed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Belfast Telegraph Digital